PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
SASSA is based on a smart partnership with the government, local municipalities, funding agencies and private businesses to provide a suite of support services for college and university students in South Africa.
SASSA is a unique network of student services, with a strong identity built around the values of equal opportunity and social assistance to enhance the student experience towards the successful completion of their college and university studies.
Through its student services, SASSA seeks to implement government policies regarding student life. It shares common goals with colleges and universities and local authorities by seeking to:
- Improve the conditions and quality of student life;
- Contribute to the attractiveness of campuses and university programs;
- Supporting and facilitating mobility, safety and security of students;
- Facilitate access to accommodation and food security;
- Promote the health and wellness of students;
- Developing the socio-cultural life within the city environment.
The main purpose for the establishment of the South African Student Services Agency is to provide a suite of student support services to commuter and non-commuter students which are essential for their welfare, development and success.
The SASSA network implements services and programs that improve the student experience in colleges and universities in South Africa. SASSA implements the goals of the National Development Plan and expectations of the government by achieving high student retention, throughput and graduate rates. SASSA aims at achieving the following goals:
- To improve the first year experience and the first year retention and success rates in South Africa from 40% to 80%
- To improve the student graduate rates from 20% to 60%;
- To develop a loyalty based management systems to control the spending of students to align with a healthy lifestyle and choices;
- To promote an alcohol free and substance abuse lifestyle for students under the age of 21 as envisaged by the new policies on alcohol use;
- To develop a database that will provide feedback on students spending patterns and student lifestyle audit;
- Provide future employers and creditors with testimonial evidence of student`s academic performance and lifestyle patterns during study years;
- To develop an effective and reliable out of classroom curriculum with structured programs and activities for students within the city environment;
- To advice and advocate for the development of educational and recreational facilities that supports a positive lifestyle within the city environment.